A sickening case of animal cruelty

Some days in this job you just sort of shake your head and wonder.

That’s about all you can do when you try to make sense out of the kind of thing that happened over this July 4 weekend in Darby Borough.

Apparently the fireworks were not enough for someone.

They decided it might be a good idea to set a cat on fire.

I’m not making this up. Animal Control Officer Dave Schlott discovered the badly injured orange tabby Sunday morning.

It had been badly burned and also possibly beaten.

Schlott rushed the kitty to Ole Marple Veterinary Hospital, but it succumbed to its injuries Sunday night.

There is a part of me that hopes there is some other possible explanation for what happened to this cat, other than the obvious one.

There’s a part of me who wants to think that no one is capable of that kind of cruelty.

I’m hoping we hear today that there is another reason for why this happened to this defenseless animal.

I’m not optimistic.

Instead I think I know what we will learn. It was some kind of sick prank that spiraled out of control.

Like I said, some days you just sort of shake your head and wonder.

Comments