A tradition unlike any other

It is, as the TV promo reminds us, “a tradition unlike any other.”

And what we will witness today at 1:42 p.m. will be unlike anything we’ve ever witnessed, not just at The Masters, but in all of sports.

Tiger Woods will stride to the first tee at the Augusta National Golf Club, just as he’s done for so many years. But he’s never done it under the circumstances he will face today.

Look, I’m a golf junkie. And the Masters is my favorite tournament. So I will be watching this weekend. I’ll probably flip the TV on this afternoon and watch Tiger tee off. But this year, obviously, I will be joined by a few people.

In short, it will be the tee shot heard – and watched – around the world.

Tiger has been everywhere since careening down his driveway and blasting into a mailbox on Thanksgiving night.

Everywhere but a golf course.

After months in the headlines for a series of scandalous sex revelations and a stint in a sex rehab joint, Tiger today steps back on a golf course to compete for the first time since his life was turned upside down.

The Masters, more than any other tournament, provides grand theater year after year. But nothing like what is on tap this afternoon.

A tradition unlike any other? You ain’t seen nothing yet.

And by the way, let me be the first to go on record to say it would not surprise me at all to see Tiger on the leaderboard some Sunday afternoon.

If that’s the case, expect Super Bowl-like ratings.

I make no judgment on Woods, except that I disapprove of what he did and was disappointed in a guy I genuinely respected.

On the course, Woods does things no one else approaches. Off the course, it turns out he’s just as mortal as the rest of us.

You can say Woods’ life went off course, both literally and figuratively.

But today he steps back onto the stage on one of the most spectacular backdrops in sports.

The Master will head to the tee at the Masters.

And the whole world will be watching.

Comments