A confession before we hit Red October

Welcome to Red October, three days early.

The Phillies broke out the champagne last night after capturing their fourth consecutive National League East title.

Count me among those surprised by this latest Phils’ celebration.

That’s because back in July I wrote the Phils off, said they not only would not repeat as NL East champions, that they likely would not get into the playoffs.

At the time, they had started the second half of the season after the All-Star break by losing six of seven. On July 21 they sat seven games out of first place, and two games out of the Wild Card.

I pronounced them dead in the water.

I was wrong.

Again.

I don’t consider myself a bandwagon jumper. I don’t get on and off. I am always “on,” even when I am whining about how the Philly teams are playing.

If I’m guilty of anything, it is of being an unabashed fan.

I reserve the right to change my mind.

So, with that out of the way, welcome once again to Red October.

Geez, next thing you’re going to tell me is that Andy Reid benched Kevin Kolb and is going with Michael Vick as his starting quarterback.

Oh. …. Never mind.

Comments