Today in History: Imagine

Last summer I managed to cross another item off my “bucket list.”

I visited Bethel, N.Y. If you’re not sure why that town is famous, let me give you a hint. It’s 45 minutes away from a much more famous town. I am guessing you’ve heard of it. It’s called Woodstock.

Yes, I stood at the top of the hill and looked down into that bowl on Yasgur’s farm, and yes, the hair stood up on my neck.

Just as it had a few years earlier when I crossed off another item on my list, also music-related.

My wife and I were visiting New York City. We made our way into Central Park. Neither of us said a word, but we both knew where we were going.

Eventually we came to the small stone in the shape of a peace sign adorned with the single word.

Imagine.

My wife didn’t especially want to, but I insisted we walk across the street and join the crowd that goes there each day to gawk at the Dakota, where John Lennon lived.

The door man with the distinctive coat somehow managed to keep his dignity as people came up to him and he confirmed this was indeed the spot where the former Beatle was gunned down.

I looked at the entranceway and all I could think if was a single word.

Imagine.


Comments