The great Patty vs. Paddy debate: Enough to get your Irish up


We celebrated everything Irish on last night’s ‘Live From the Newsroom’ broadcast.


If you missed it, you can catch it here.


Many thanks for Lorannie Ranalli for the yummy Irish potatoes, chef Dom Condo for his Irish meatballs, Chef Jacquie Peccina-Kelly for a delightful Erin Go Bragh soup, and Donna Viso of Viso’s Bakery in Aston who brought along some delectable St. Joseph’s cakes.


Blogger Jim Vanore filled us in on some of the history behind St. Patrick’s Day.


Earlier in the day, I finally decided to ask readers to weigh in on what has been debated by people I talk to every year at this time of year.


Is it permissible to use the term ‘Paddy’ when it comes to St. Patrick’s Day and the Irish in general.


At least one prominent Delco Irishman, new County Councilman John McBlain, would faithfully call me each year to remind me that he considered the term ‘Paddy’ a slur against the Irish.


I disagreed. Certainly we are not looking to disparage the huge numbers of Irish folks in Delaware County. But just to be sure, I decided to put the question out there in my blog yesterday morning.


The first response I got was from “John From Dublin.” I didn’t realize my blog was being read in my ancestors’ homeland. Such is the power of the Internet.


While John assured me that ‘Paddy’ in itself is not offensive, the use of ‘Patty’ for anything associated with St. Patrick’s Day certainly is.


He was not alone.


I soon got messages from several readers who pointed out the error of our ways, in particular the ‘St. Patty’s Payday’ contest that has been highlighted both in the newspaper and online for the past month.


“It is never, ever ‘St. Patty’s Day,’” John instructed me. “In Ireland we often leave off the St. bit as well. ‘Paddy’s Day’ is probably the most common short form we have.


Colm Harpur was a bit more firm.


"It's St. Paddy's Daay," he said. "You will not find one IRISH person who calls it St. Patty's Day. Far too many Americans are getting this wrong and it's an insult to the Irish nation. You don't see us telling Americans what to call Independence Day."


One of the common complaints registered is that Patty is actually a woman’s name. I should know, I married one. In fact a very Italian one. Paddy, on the other hand, is the shortened form of the Irish man’s name Padraig.


“Patty is a girl’s name for crying out loud,” another reader chimed in. “As a born and bred Irishman people referring to Paddy’s Day as Patty’s Day drives me mad and I am not alone.”


You might say that. Actually, there is a website (naturally!) dedicated to eradicating this clear misuse of Patty for Paddy.


I’m not kidding. You can click here for the Paddy, Not Patty rules.


They point out that once again this year they will fight off an onslaught of “half-hearted, dyed-green" references to St. Patrick’s Day as St. Patty’s Day.


They have assembled some helpful do’s and don’ts.


In short, it’s Paddy, not Patty. Saint Patrick’s Day is grand; Paddy’s Day is “sure, dead-on"; St. Pat’s? “Aye, if ye must"; St. Patty? "No, ye goat."


Thanks to all for weighing in on the matter.


And a happy St. Paddy’s Day to all.


Now if I could just figure out who thought it would be a good idea to once again give up beer for Lent.


It’s enough to drive an Irishman to drink. But not until Easter.


 

Comments