The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick

Welcome to the Nick Foles Era.

Or is this the return of the Tommy Brasher Era. Or the end of the Jim Washburn Era. Yeah, I know, it’s hard to tell who’s coming and who’s going around here these days.

Let’s start with Foles. This is now his team. At least for the next four weeks. That’s how long he has to convince the Eagles that he is their quarterback of the future, even if he likely will be doing it for another head coach. Foles had his best week since taking over for the concussion-plagued Michael Vick last Sunday night against the Cowboys.

Now, it’s time to take off his training wheels and see what this baby will do. And he has the perfect opponent to do it against Sunday when the Birds travel south to Tampa. While new stud running back Bryce Brown could find it very tough sledding against the No. 1 defense against the run, Foles will have an opportunity to feast on the league’s worst pass defense.

Look for Foles to have a big day.

Also look for changes on the Eagles defense. With Washburn following Jason Babin out the door, some of the problems that have plagued the Birds should be rectified.

Don’t look now, but I’m picking the Birds to snap that eight-game losing streak on the strong right arm of Nick Foles.

The Pick: Make it Eagles 26, Buccaneers 17. Foles continues to progress, and combined with Brown allows the Eagles to control the game.

Last Week: You know one of the worst things about this season? Seeing the Cowboys and Redskins breathing down the Giants’ necks while the Eagles are wallowing in the NFC East’s basement. If the Birds had just been able to win a couple of games after cutting Juan Castillo loose, they’d be right in the thick of it. Instead, they again allowed Dallas receivers to run wide open and came up on the losing end for the eighth straight week. In the process they punched Washburn’s ticket out of town.

Season Record: The season is an unmitigated disaster, with the Eagles sitting at a horrific 3-9. I’d still like to know the behind-the-scenes play that went into hiring Washburn, then finding no established defensive coordinator wanted to come here and work with him, leaving Reid in a lurch and forced to turn to Castillo. That is what turned the Eagles into this sad sack of a franchise. For met, I got off that two-game losing stream by picking against the Birds vs. the hated ‘Boys. At least I didn’t have to watch it. Way past my bed time. I’ll be back on the couch Sunday with a 7-5 record.

Game by Game: Eagles 17, Browns 16 (My Pick: Eagles 27, Browns 13)

Eagles 24, Ravens 23 (My Pick: Eagles 24, Ravens 23 - On the Money!)

Cardinals 27, Eagles 6 (My Pick: Eagles 29, Cardinals 13)

Eagles 19, Giants 17 (My Pick: Eagles 19, Giants 17 - On the Money!)

Steelers 16, Eagles 14 (My Pick: Steelers 24, Eagles 16.)

Lions 26, Eagles 23 (My pick: Eagles 19, Lions 17)

Falcons 30, Eagles 17 (My pick: Eagles 29, Falcons 17)

Saints 28, Eagles 13 (My pick: Saints 37, Eagles 19)

Cowboys 38, Eagles 23 (My pick: Cowboys 23, Eagles 17)

Redskins 31 Eagles 6 (My pick: Eagles 29, Redskins 24)

Panthers 30, Eagles 22 (My pick: Eagles 23, Panthers 13)

Cowboys 38, Eagles 33 (My pick: Cowboys 33, Eagles 23)

Comments