Good news does appear in the Daily Times

It's one of those questions that has dogged me since I became editor of the Daily Times more than a decade ago.

"Why is there so much bad news in the Daily Times?" The easiest answer I can give is this: That's what people read.

That does not mean I am not always looking for positive stories.

Which is why I was intrigued a week ago when I got a phone call from Diane Heller. She wanted to tell me a story about how her brother had saved a local family when a raging fire hit their house.

That certainly made my ears perk up. Edward Williams noticed the early-morning flames, ran up and banged on the door of the home on Rolling Road in Springfield. A photo of the house that appeared in the Daily Times shows the entire second floor and roof engulfed in flames.

Everyone got out safe, due in large part to the actions of Edward Williams. But Williams did not stick around to be honored for his efforts. Those at the scene could not turn up any sign of the hero and what he did, despite their efforts.

Diane told me there is a very good reason why Edward likely did not hear anyone calling out his name or looking for him.

Edward Williams is deaf.

Now he's going to be honored by Springfield Township.

Here is his story. It was on our front page Sunday, proof that really good stories to appear in the Daily Times.

 

Comments