A Delco guy meets the president

One of the things I like the most about social media is the ability to make connections I otherwise would miss. It also allows me to 'connect' with people and places from my past.

That's how I 'connected' with Tina Zuzek. It turns out she grew up in the same little town I did out in Chester County. But she now lives here in Delco. Her son, a football player, attends the Naval Academy. We connected last year when she alerted me to her son's appearance in the Army-Navy game. Joe is a standout offensive lineman.

Here is a small confession. One of my great laments in my life is that I did not pursue the chance to go to the Naval Academy. We had a congressman, John Ware, who actually lived in our town and likely would have written a letter of recommendation. But I was a young knucklehead, and didn't think it was 'cool' to be a midshipman. What a dunce.

But I've always been a Navy fan, at least in part out of that missed opportunity, and the fact that my dad was a sailor.

Tina noticed that I was often wrote about Oxford in my column and blog, and we connected. That's how we wound up doing a story on her son.

Last week she contacted me again.

Joe was making news again.

That's him with President Obama in the picture accompanying this blog.

The Naval Academy team visited the White House and met with President Obama on Friday to accept the Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy for the ninth time in 11 seasons.

A couple of other Delco guys, Mike Huf from Drexel Hill, and Lonnie Richardson from Chester, also were on hand for the event. His family and friends apparently call Joe 'Jake.'

I hope he doesn't mind if I do as well.

He did Delco proud.

As well as his mom's - and a certain newspaper editor's - home town.

Well done, Jake.

Comments