The best day of my life

I just heard a TV ad for a local radio station. It featured the band American Authors doing their hit song, "Best Day of My Life."

I'm thinking maybe this is a little more than a coincidence. For me, that's easy.

Exactly 31 years ago today, June 18, 1982, was the best day of my life.

That's the day I married my wife.

She had been ready to tie the knot for years. Me? I was comfortable dating and didn't see any need to rush things. Of course, she did not see our extended dating period - OK, it was more like four years - as exactly a panic move.

I finally proposed at a wedding we attended at one of my cousins in Philly.

It's still not only the best day of my life, but the best decision I've ever made.

This is always a big week for anniversaries for me. I started at the Daily Times on June 14, 1982. Flag Day. I got married almost exactly one year later.

My memory of those two important events is not lost on my wife. She has always referred to the Daily Times as my mistress - and her competition.

She's right. She gave up a lot of things because of this place. Unless you work in this racket, you don't really know the kind of toll it can take on you - and relationships. I've seen the rubble of too many relationships left on the newsroom floor because chasing the news took precedence over chasing a spouse or girlfriend.

She's done a lot of things alone in those three decades, including the bulk of raising two great kids.

Best day of my life? That's easy. Thanks for 31 great years.

Comments