A thorn with Flowers

My thanks to my lead Sunday columnist Christine Flowers, who gave me an opportunity to put people to sleep on radio as well as in print on Saturday.

Actually, I joined Christine during her weekend radio show on WPHT 1210-AM The Big Talker.

It took me awhile to figure out this great guy she kept mentioning before I joined her at 4 was me.

And of course I could not resist jabbing her about our unseasonably mild weather, which her editor happens to love, but which the esteemed Ms. Flowers detests.

Even I have to admit this holiday season has been a bit weird due to this incredible streak of warm weather. As I said on the show, when I see people outside on Christmas Day in shorts and flip-flops, I have to wonder about all this global warming business.

But Christine and I quickly got to the point of why she asked me on. She wanted to talk about something I've written about many times. That would be the case against Monsignor William Lynn and the priest sexual abuse scandal in the Philadelphia Archdiocese.

Monsignor Lynn, who already has served much of the three to six-year sentence he received as the highest-ranking church official ever convicted in the widespread church scandal, won a recent court fight when his conviction once again was tossed out and he was granted a new trial.

Let's be clear. Lynn was not charged with abuse. He was charged - and initially convicted - of endangering the welfare of a child in connection with the actions of one priest.

His attorneys consistently argued that state law, which was updated in 2007, did not even apply to Lynn and his role as supervisor of the clergy in the archdiocese, in connection with this allegation, which occurred in 1998.

I've always thought Monsignor Lynn was the fall guy for an unconscionable policy put in place by the archdiocese. That does not mean I don't think what he did was wrong. I just don't think the law applied to him, and appeals courts have now backed up that belief.

Christine used her Sunday column to further argue the case that Lynn was wrongly tried and convicted. You can read it here.

Here is the column I wrote after seeing the new move 'Spotlight,' a devastating portrayal of the church in Boston, and a very sad film for anyone who has lived through the last few years in the newspaper business.

My thanks for Christine for the chance to chat on the radio. As usual, some loyal Daily Times readers called in and they were not shy about offering their view - both on the Lynn case and the way the newspaper covered it.

One of the things I am always asked - most often by people who hold her views abhorrent - is why I offer space every week to someone who holds the beliefs that Christine Flowers does. They find her conservative bent to be distasteful, to say the least.

And they always ask me the same question: Why would I run the columns from someone I clearly disagree with much of the time.

I'm always taken aback every time someone expels that belief, as if for some reason I should only run opinions in the paper that conform to my beliefs. Actually, there probably are people who believe I already do that. That would be the readers always taking me to task for the newspaper's supposed liberal bent.

The idea behind what we do here ever day - at least in terms of opinion - is to offer a variety of opinions. Yes, that includes some I do not agree with.

In fact, if you want to try something a bit more challenging, try writing an editorial supporting a position with which you strongly disagree. I've had that task many times. Believe me, it's no picnic.

More importantly, there is danger in limiting the newspaper to any one set of beliefs.

The idea is to offer a broad-based community of ideas. Sure, Christine and I might have a slightly bigger platform to offer our ideas, but we're far from alone.

Readers write letters to the editor, guest columns, and even 'Sound Off' anonymously via our insanely popular reader call-in line.

Today, readers also have the option of posting comments on every story that appears on our website, DelcoTimes.com. There have never been more ways to express your opinion than exist in today's tech-drenched world.

In effect, every person with a phone, tablet or laptop is a publisher, able to deliver their opinions via Twitter, Facebook and other social media. Just take a gander at my Twitter feed during Eagles games. It has fulfilled the long-held aspirations of a frustrated sports writer.

The other question I get, of course, is what that one about what makes a good columnist.

It’s a good question. Fortunately, I think I have a good answer.

They have something compelling to say. Luckily, both of my feature columnists, Christine and Chris Freind, fulfill that goal magnificently. I don’t particularly care if readers love them or hate them, so long as they read them. They perfectly filled the void several years ago when Gil Spencer got out of the journalism racket.

The last thing I want readers to do is roll their eyes and turn the page. They can do that on Monday, when my column appears. No, I want columnists who reach out, grab readers by the throat, and challenge them not to read their piece. I imagine it’s not the first time Christine, Chris and I will write about Monsignor Lynn. Or the church. Or Kathleen Kane. Or our dysfunctional government in Harrisburg.

I will not always agree with them.

But I will always defend their right to express their beliefs.

In print, online - and on the radio.

Thanks for the air time, Christine.

Comments