Welcome to the Doug Pederson Era

Here's what I know on Day One of the Doug Pederson Era.

The new head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles has won exactly as many Super Bowls as any other head coach in the team's history.

That, of course, would be zero.

Isn't that the bottom line. The Eagles have had good teams, mediocre teams an entirely too many lousy teams. They have won playoff games, NFC East titles, even several NFC crowns. But they have never won a Super Bowl. The "Gold Standard" constantly preached by owner Jeff Lurie has been more pewter than anything else.

I know Pederson was a journeyman quarterback who played nine lousy games as Andy Reid waited to put a rookie named Donovan McNabb in control of the Eagles' offense.

I don't hold that again Pederson now. I don't think his talent as a QB has much of anything to do with what kind of coach he will be. I do know that very often mediocre players make better coaches that great players. The naturally talented athlete usually has difficulty teaching lesser athletes. They don't think about what they do, they simply react.

What I would like to know, and something I doubt we will find out when Pederson and Eagles owner Jeff Lurie meet the media t 2 this afternoon, is more about the process that the Eagles used to zero in on Pederson.

I find it hard to believe he was their first pick. But to hear former longtime Eagles QB and ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski gush about Pederson, you get the feeling he was their guy all along.

The Eagles did talk to Adam Gase, but he signed with the Dolphins. They were interested in Giants offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo, but he stuck with the G-Men. Even Hue Jackson signed with the Browns. Are you telling me that job was more appealing than being Chip Kelly's successor.

I'm willing to give Pederson a chance.

I still have questions about who is doing what in the Eagles' front office.

I'm not sure I like the idea of Howie Roseman, who was so unceremoniously deposed in Chip Kelly's power grab, being back in control. But it looks like Pederson is going to surround himself with some experienced coaches. Jim Schwartz, the former Lions' head coach and a guy whose defenses were always near the top of the rankings, looks like he is in line to become defensive coordinator.

One name I have not heard that much about is Pat Shurmur. Frank Reich seems to have the inside line on offensive coordinator. Maybe Pederson will ask Shurmur to stay on as quarterbacks coach.

Shurmur could be the key to keeping Sam Bradford, and to be honest, right now that is the Birds' most important task. They need Bradford. Without him, they are admitting they are going back to square one in what would be a long-term rebuilding plan.

Even given all that, I'm willing to give Doug Pederson a shot.

Of course, he starts off 0-3, I reserve the right to rethink that position.

Welcome back to Philly, Doug.

Comments