A not-so-country kid remembers Merle Haggard

When I was a kid (yes, it's becoming increasingly hard to remember that far back), I was not what you would call a country music fan. It wasn't nearly "cool" enough. And believe me, back then I was all about cool.

I didn't care for the twang, the homespun lyrics, the sagas of folks down on their luck.

I was a Motown guy, soon to be a classic rocker.

Country? No thanks.

And this from someone who grew up in a town where the legendary Ola Belle and Alex would broadcast their nationally recognized country music show every week from right there in their Campbell's Corner general store.

Where one of the true meccas of country music - or any kind of music for that matter - Sunset Park was just a stone's throw away, just a short stretch down Baltimore Pike. I still shake my head in disbelief that I never once stepped inside those hallowed grounds, where certified superstars such as Loretta Lynn and Johnny Cash would play.

Not me. I figured my long hair and loud electric music would not fit in. Little did I know that I was the one holding the prejudice, judging people I knew nothing about.

All of this is to say that I find it more than a little odd how so many years later I really enjoy country music.

That field was lessened a bit yesterday by the death of Merle Haggard.

Haggard actually lived what many of us only pretended to be: An Outlaw.

I do not know for sure, but I would hazard a guess that Haggard was one of those stars who at some point strode out onto the stage at Sunset Park in good old Jennersville.

The word icon gets overused in today's society.

It is not when it comes to Haggard.

His life probably defines a good country song. His influence is unchallenged.

It took me a long time to come around to country music.

They say wisdom comes with age.

I don't know about that. I still do a lot of dumb things.

But not appreciating artists such as Merle Haggard and others who paved the way for today's explosion of crossover country and pop music is right there at the top of the list.

Rest well, Merle.

It took a long time, but count one more kid from Oxford who now appreciates just how great you were.

Comments