The worst assignment I can give a reporter

I'm always astounded by the way people react when they are in the midst of the worst circumstances life can deliver.

Yesterday we reached out to the widow of Brad Hayes, the man who was found beaten to death in his car on a Darby street last week.

I asked reporter Rose Quinn to look up Vanessa Hayes after I saw her speaking on TV. It's one of the worst assignments I can give a reporter. Literally you knock on a person's door, identify yourself, and ask if you can talk to them or if there is anything they would like to say.

In this instance, Vanessa Hayes was still trying to get her arms around what happened to her husband, Brad.

I think the reason I am so often surprised by what happens is because I think I know how I would react in the same situation.

At least I think it's the way I would react. I would mutter something about "how heartless can you be?" and then likely slam the door in the person's face.

Instead, again yesterday, Vanessa invited Rose into her home to talk about the man she lost.

She brought out the family photos.v One of them appears on our front page.

She has a simple request.

"Somebody had to see something," she said.

Now she wants those people to come forward.

Ironically, this is not the first time tragedy has visited Vanessa Hayes. Her first husband also was killed.

You begin to wonder how much one woman can take.

And you admire the way she holds up in the face of the worst life can dish out.

Here's hoping police quickly find those responsible for Brad Hayes' death.

You can read the story here.

Comments