A suggestion toward better race relations

It's one of the 'third rails' of journalism.

Race.

You need to tread very carefully when approaching this topic.

That's a lesson that Roseanne Barr clearly never learned.

I spent a lot of time in the wake of Barr's abhorrent comments talking about race last week.

I'm not sure what I was more taken aback by, what Barr said, or the fact that she apparently thought it was OK to share this kind of racist drivel on social media. Then again, judging by the number of people who rushed forward to defend her comments or immediately point an accusing finger at others in a cascade of "what about" comments, I probably should not have been surprised.

And of course Samantha Bee managed to step up and give another perfect example of "Foot in Mouth" disease. Yes, America still has issues with race.

I think we could go a long way toward a better understanding of one another if everyone could have an experience I once had. That is I had the high honor of attending classes at Lincoln University.

Why was that so important? You can find out in today's Letter From the Editor.

Comments