The larger-than-life Ed Rendell

I've always considered Ed Rendell as bigger than life.

I think that's in part because he always reminded me of my father.

My favorite photo of Rendell is the one of the burly, bare-chested mayor joining a couple of kids and jumping into a city pool to officially kick off the summer season.

It was quintessential Rendell.

Last week I did an event with the governor and former mayor at Neumann University to mark the 10th anniversary of Pennsylvania's Open Record Act/Right to Know Law, which he signed.

I was struck at the difficulty he seemed to be having walking and getting up onto the stage.

I didn't really think about it again until yesterday morning, when I heard the news that Rendell was announcing he was battling Parkinson's Disease.

Luckily, the governor said the symptoms that he has been fighting now for three years have stabilized.

He said he wanted to go public to send an important message to others who may be headed down the same path and not realize it. If you are having symptom, "get in to see a doctor, get a diagnosis and get treatment," Rendell said. "Parkinson's disease is not a death sentence."

The longtime Dem political power said he first started noticing the slight tremors more than three years ago.

"I was stunned because I'd always viewed myself as indestructible," Rendell quipped at a press conference.

Here's to a true Philly and Pennsylvania icon.

All the best, governor.

Comments