Remembering Ted Erickson

It has happened again.

Delaware County has lost another giant.

But more than that, I lost a friend.

I'll be honest. I meet a lot of public officials. Lots of them are wary of who I am and what I do. They are convinced I approach every story with an agenda.

Not Ted Erickson.

He approached every meeting I ever had with him with a handshake and a kind word.

Politician just might be the last word I would use to describe Edwin B. Erickson.

He always scoffed at that formal name.

The truth is everyone simply called him Ted.

They also called him senator. And County Councilman. And County Executive Director.

That was Ted, a lifetime of public service.

But in truth, probably much closer to what he always was at heart, an educator.

Ted taught us all how to live a good life. And how to make a difference in public life.

We salute him today on our editorial page.

Comments