The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick

It's taken 30 years, but it's payback time.

It was New Year's Eve three decades ago that the Eagles traveled to Chicago and were involved in one of the most bizarre playoff games in NFL history.

The Eagles were trailing when they went into the locker room at halftime. When they came back out, they were greeted by a thick, soupy fog that had rolled in off Lake Michigan and enveloped the stadium on a mild afternoon.

The Eagles lost that game. At one point, players said you couldn't see the other sideline.

I always thought that might have been one of the best Eagles teams every, and always lamented the circumstances under which they exited the playoffs.

Now it's time for payback.

Caution, this is not going to be easy. The Bears are a quality team that has won nine of their last 10 games.

Most important, our St. Nick Foles will face his biggest challenge since taking the helm for the injured Carson Wentz and running off three straight wins to rally the Birds to an unlikely playoff bid.

The Number One challenge the Eagles face in this game is controlling the ball and making sure Bears stud defensive lineman Khalil Mack does not wind up in Foles' lap all afternoon.

Foles has been expert in getting rid of the ball quickly and that will be imperative again Sunday.

It would certainly behoove the Eagles to get an early lead and then run the ball. It is going to be essential for the Eagles to run the ball to take the pressure off Foles, and that is where this game likely will be decided.

As fearsome as the Bears' defense is, Mitch Trubisky and the Bears offense is not scaring anyone. The Eagles' defense seems to play better each week and should keep the Bears under 20 points.

THE PICK: Make it Eagles 23, Bears 17. St. Nick. What else can you say?

LAST WEEK: This one was no contest. The Eagles defense mauled the Redskins, holding them to just 9 yards total offense. They could use a repeat performance from the defense in Chicago. The win and that magnificent El Foldo from Kirk Cousins and the Vikings got the Eagles into the playoffs and the chance to defend their Super Bowl title. The Eagles wind up the season 9-7, riding a late hot streak and the incredible play of Nick Foles. This game was my lock of the year and with the win I managed to hike a rough year's prognostications to 7-9.

GAME BY GAME: Eagles 18, Falcons 12. (My Pick: Falcons 27, Eagles 13)

Buccaneers 27, Eagles 21 (My Pick: Eagles 23, Buccaneers 13)

Eagles 20, Colts 16 (My Pick: Colts 23, Eagles 17)

Titans 26, Eagles 23 in OT (My Pick: Eagles 26, Titans 13)

Vikings 23, Eagles 21 (My Pick: Eagles 24, Vikings 13)

Eagles 34, Giants 13 (My Pick: Eagles 19, Giants 17)

Panthers 21, Eagles 17 (My Pick: Eagles 26, Panthers 17)

Eagles, 24, Jaguars 18 (My Pick: Eagles 24, Jaguars 23)

Cowboys 27, Eagles 20 (My Pick: Eagles 29, Cowboys 16)

Saints 48, Eagles 7 (My Pick: Saints 37, Eagles 23)

Eagles 25, Giants 22 (My Pick: Eagles 23, Giants 17)

Eagles 28, Redskins 13 (My Pick: Eagles 27, Redskins 17)

Cowboys 29, Eagles 23 (My Pick: Eagles 23, Cowboys 21)

Eagles 30, Rams 23 (My Pick: Rams 31, Eagles 16)

Eagles 32, Texans 30 (My Pick: Eagles 27, Texans 26)

Eagles 24, Redskins 0 (My Pick: Eagles 31, Redskins 17)

Comments