A harbinger of spring - The Masters

Looking for me this weekend?

You'll find me in a most unusual place: Parked in front of my TV.

There's a good reason.

It's Masters weekend. And it's shaping up to be a classic.

After Day 1, my guy Tiger Woods show 2 under. That put him 1 stroke off the lead when he left the course, but the field fairly quickly was lapped by a bunch of guys going low among the azaleas.

There's a pack of guys now sitting at 6 under.

The old saying is you can't win the tournament on Thursday, but you can lose it.

Yes, I know a lot of people will be watching to see if the Phillies can straighten out their pitching woes.

And let's not forget the Sixers, who kick off the first round of the NBA playoffs Saturday afternoon against the Nets.

To me, it can wait. This weekend belongs to the Masters.

Here's a confession. I have yet to touch a club since last fall.

Actually, that's not true. I have in fact swung a club just about every day. It's one of my superstitions. Every night when I get home and change I grab the wedge I keep in my bedroom closet and take a few swings, just to keep the muscle memory intact. The carpet doesn't seem to be any worse for the wear.

Lots of years I have already played a couple of rounds by the time Masters weekend rolls around. This year? Well, for several reasons, I haven't gotten out yet.

To me the Masters is the true harbinger of spring - despite the fact that much of the middle of the country is undergoing blizzard-like conditions.

I was not surprised by a post from my old stomping grounds of Boulder, Colo., which in a span of about 24 hours went from 70 degrees to several inches of snow.

Spring arrives this weekend - with the pursuit of the green jacket.

Count me in.

Comments