An exasperating hunt for the Sixers and Phillies results

I think I have been pretty clear that I'm not a fan of the new format being used on KYW Newsradio 1060.

First, a confession.

I don't like change.

I have a tendency to do exactly the same thing at exactly the same time every day.

The first thing I do when I get out of bed (actually I've usually been lying there staring at the clock for about an hour), is grab my portable radio (no, I don't use the damn phone app!) and flip on KYW. Don't ask me what time. Let's just say it's early. Then I make a beeline for the coffee maker, and the much-needed jolt of caffeine to kickstart another marathon day.

There is a comfort in this daily routine. I use KYW to immediately let me know what has transpired since I slid into a coma the night before. When I hear those familiar voices, it assures me the world has not gone awry in the past few hours.

But I can't say I love their changes.

First - and foremost - they changed sports from its dependable spot at quarter of and quarter after. I can still get traffic on the 2's, but the change still has me off kilter.

They now are pushing something they call "3 things you need to know." It screams of something some programming director picked up from a focus group. Never had the joy of having your business subjected to a focus group? You really haven't lived until you hear the public pick apart your product for a half hour. It's not a lot of fun.

I don't need all this "shtick." You know what I need to know? I need the headlines, sports, traffic and weather.

Quickly. No muss, no fuss.

Is it just me, or do I detect more and more "happy talk" filtering into the KYW broadcast. I also seem to be getting bombarded with ads at times when I used to be hearing news. Hell, next they'll be doing away with the soothing sound of the teletype in the background that has formed the soundtrack to my life.

That's right, kids. That sound is from a teletype. Google it.

This morning only proved my point.

I wanted to know two things as soon as I got up this morning.

I kind of figured the Sixers won after that great start, but I was long gone by the time the game ended. Same goes for the Phillies. Somehow I managed to miss them this morning.

But the adventure was just beginning.

I'm a serial channel flipper when I get in the car.

I go back and forth betweeen the headlines on KYW and WIP.

It dawned on me that I was 35 minutes into my drive into the office and I still had not heard the Sixers final, nor the result of the Phillies game.

WIP was busy spending the bulk of this time first replaying and then discussing an interview with Donovan McNabb and his comments about Carson Wentz. He was right by the way, even if he expressed them clumsily.

I was almost into the office when I finally got a final score as the Sixers closed out the Nets and the Phillies got blown out by the Mets.

That should not happen. Yes, part of it is on me. I just missed the sports updates on KYW.

Remember, I don't like change.

And I really don't like the recent changes to KYW.

Comments