Meeting some special people at TCF

I'm in the midst of a run of events where I get to meet readers - and some really good kids.

Last week it was The Community's Foundation annual gala, where I met the 15 winners of more than $100,000 in scholarships to continue their education and seek careers in the health care field.

But before I met the kids, I got to meet the people sitting at my table.

I met the Evans family, headed by Mike.

If the name Mike Evans rings a bell, it should. Mike played for the Eagles.

I also got to meet his wife, Kitty. Together they started their business, Evco Industries, and are the power behind the Margaret Lindgren Fund, in honor of Kitty's mom. It aids single moms who find themselves in financial distress.

And there was Laura and Mark Sperratore, owners of Sperr's Fuel and Heating. They were named the TCF Philanthropists of the Year.

Funny thing, all of them had nothing but nice things to say about the newspaper.

Kitty was especially complimentary, saying she loved my column.

They also expressed something else more and more readers are wondering.

They wonder how long their beloved print edition will be around.

It's a good question.

I wish I had a good answer.

Don't worry. I don't think we're going anywhere anytime soon.

But do I envision a time when the print edition will be a thing of the past? Yes, I think it is coming - hopefully long after I am retired.

I talk about a great night with TCF and friends in today's Letter From the Editor.

Comments