Memories of 2 co-workers gone too soon

I find myself - as I often do these days - thinking about the past, about people I have worked with over the years.

People who are no longer here.

Terry Toohey could not have captured the sentiment Bob Tennant would have reserved for the posthumous honor bestowed on him yesterday more perfectly.

He would have hated it.

Bob was the Daily Times longtime sports editor and my choice as associate editor after I moved into the editor's chair.

Bob was a no-nonsense journalist who hated anything that smacked of 'celebrity' status being bestowed on news folks. Your job was to cover the story, not become part of it, according to Bob.

I was supposed to be at the Concordville Inn yesterday to see Bob honored with the Robert 'Bob' Finucane Memorial Achievement Award at the 80th Delaware County Athletes Hall of Fame dinner.

As fate - and our woeful current staffing situation - has it, I wound up working the desk last night and was unable to make it. Somewhere, Bob Tennant was smiling.

In today's print column, my Monday Letter from the Editor, I pay a final salute to the man I worked with every day creating the front pages that have graced this newspaper for the last two decades.

If you have kept any of those special pages as keepsakes, you are familiar with the work of Mark Locher.

Mark was more than a page designer, he was an artist.

His pages had that special 'Mark Locher touch.'

I can't tell you how much he will be missed.

Maybe this column gives you an idea.

Comments