'Seminal' life moments

Who knew there were this many great kids around?

Yeah, I know, you did.

I hear that all the time from readers. Why aren't there more stories about kids doing good things in the paper? Why are they always played up when they're doing something wrong.

It's a good question. Luckily, I think I have a good answer.

Kids doing the right thing, what they are supposed to do, isn't necessarily news.

I know a lot of people don't want to hear that, but it's true.

When people do something wrong, that's often when it becomes news.

That does not mean we ignore the positive stories.

That is why last week I found myself at the Spring Haven Club saluting this year's winners of the more than $100,000 in scholarship being doled out by The Community's Foundation.

Yesterday I was at Neumann University, taking part in the annual Youth Leadership Academy held by the Delaware County Chamber of Commerce.

I've done this one for years, and I enjoy it a little more each year.

These days I'll take just about any excuse to get me out of the office, especially on a beautiful spring day.

I sit at a table and am visited by groups of kids taking part in the program. I am supposed to impart some wisdom and tips on being a leader to these kids.

I'm not sure why they select me every year.

I've been telling these kids the same story every year, the so-called "seminal events" that shaped my life, and are very likely responsible for who I am and what I do.

I tell them they need to write every day. Yes, that is regardless of what profession they intend to take up. They will need to communicate, and writing - concisely, effectively, and these days quickly - is more important than ever.

I tell them that in order to write well they must do something else - read voraciously. Hopefully, that will include a daily newspaper, although from their responses when I asked them when was the last time they actually read a print edition of the newspaper, I probably should not hold my breath.

I tell them to add one new word to their vocabulary every day. Just one. Not too much to ask.

I tell them about the house I grew up in, and my parents penchant for consuming several newspapers every day.

I tell them about the eight years I spent under the tutelage of the firm right hand of the Sisters Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Yes, I can diagram a sentence like nobody's business. I know my subject, object and predicate.

I also tell them of one other very special "seminal" moment. In fact I told them I hoped if they took nothing out of yesterday's session, that would remember this.

I'll tell you about that tomorrow.

Thanks again to the Chamber for the invite.

The future is in good hands.

There is no shortage of great kids out there. We look for their stories every day.

Comments