Staying in the middle isn't as easy as it looks

It's something you're never supposed to do in this business - at least not on the news pages.

We're supposed to stay in the middle.

In other words, there is no rooting in the press box.

We don't take sides.

I know there are a lot of people who laugh at that, who insist everything we do has a liberal bent to it.

But in this instance, this is about a local story, specifically the controversy surrounding the Upper Darby School District's proposal to build a new middle school on the beloved Springfield Road athletic fields in Clifton Heights.

It turns out I had forgotten that I have a connection to those fields. I played on them a lifetime ago on my high school football team.

I wrote about it last week - and noted that I was rooting for the folks in Clifton.

That was noticed by some of the powers that be on the Upper Darby School Board. It was pointed out to me.

That was a blog item, an opinion. Specifically, my opinion.

That is where we take such stances.

Not on the news pages.

I talk about it in today's print column, my weekly Letter From the Editor.

Comments