The miracle of Upper Darby schools

I've always been fascinated by the Upper Darby School District.

Maybe that's because I'm still trying to get my head around the notion that there are more than 70 distinct dialects spoken in the district.

Or that every day about 3,500 people make their way into Upper Darby High School. That's more people than lived in the little town where I grew up.

It's like a city suddenly shows up every day on Lansdowne Avenue.

If you're looking for the image of America as a "melting pot," where the American dream continues to be realized every day, you should to to Upper Darby.

But don't take my word for it.

Listen to the words of former Upper Darby schools Superintendent Joe Batory.

On today's op-ed page, he talks about how the American dream is personified in his old district, and provides some specific examples.

It's a great read.

Comments