Kobe vs. John Linehan

It is a Sunday afternoon ritual.

At some point my wife and I go out, either to run some errands, make the inevitable stop at Kohl's or just to take a ride to get out of the house and escape the winter blues.

On our return, there is one more Sunday task we must navigate. We always switch cars in the driveway, so that my car is in the back, since I leave the house first early on Monday morning.

The Mrs. likes it quiet in the car, so we usually forego the blaring music, sports talk or KYW newsradio that accompany me behind the wheel.

On Sunday as I got into the seat and turned on the engine, I was greeted by the usual chatter on WIP. But I suddenly realized that something was not quite right.

The host said something about hoping this was not some kind of online hoax.

It did not take me long to find out what he was talking about.

I grabbed my phone and quickly learned the devastating news. Reports indicated that Kobe Bryant, a true Philly sports icon and retired NBA superstar, had died in a helicopter crash outside Los Angeles.

Aside from the overwhelming sadness - which only increased when news spread that his 13-year-old daughter and eight others perished in the ill-fated copter along with him - I had two thoughts that had stuck with me.

I did not think of the Lakers, or the NBA, or the highest echelons of pro sports, where Kobe certainly reigned.

I immediately thought about Chester High.

Kobe Bryant was the star of the Lower Merion Aces, and their battles against the Chester High Clippers - including the year when Kobe and the rest of Gregg Downer's crew won a state title - were epic. The Aces actually beat the Clippers twice in the playoffs that year, once in the District 1 final, and once in the eastern state playoffs.

That is one of the reasons I was fascinated when staff writer Terry Toohey came into the office Monday afternoon and we started discussing our continuing coverage of Kobe's death.

That's when Terry said he had tracked down John Linehan, who starred on those Chester High teams that faced Kobe, and who himself went on to a solid college and NBA career.

That's when Terry said something that stunned me.

He said Linehan recounted a conversation Kobe once had with members of the press during the 2001 NBA playoffs.

He was asked who was the toughest defender he had ever faced.

Linehan said he was stunned by Kobe's response:

"You may laugh, but it's a guy named John Linehan."

That quote appears on the front page of today's Daily Times.

It is part of the almost surreal, palpable world-wide reaction to the loss of Kobe Bryant.

And it pure Philly - and Delco - hoops.

Lower Merion vs. Chester High.

Kobe vs. John Linehan.

It doesn't get any better than that.

Comments