RIP, The Newseum

There is something ironic - and terribly sad - about something that happened this week in Washington, D.C. Relax, MAGA fans, this is not a rant again President Donald Trump.

The closed the doors to the Newseum - which is dedicated to journalism and the history of the newspaper world - for the last time.

That's right. You can put a -30- on it. And if you've ever worked for a newspaper, you know exactly what that old typographer's symbol means.

The End. It's Over. It's what reporters used to type at the end of their story to note to editor that the piece was finished, hopefully before an anxious editor on deadline ripped it out of their typewriter.

That's right, I'm old. When I started in this business, we were working on manual typewriters.

I wonder how many young people today even know what a manual typewriter is.

The Newseum opened in 2008 on a piece of prime Washington real estate between the White House and the Capitol on Pennsylvania Avenue.

For my 60th birthday - yes, even that is a few years in the rear-view mirror - my kids, both of whom live and work in the greater D.C. area, gave me a day at the Newseum for my birthday. It wasn't nearly enough time. I wandered the hallways star-struck at the display of newspaper history, including some of the best front pages and headlines of all time.

I still consider it one of the highlights of my career the day my daughter, who works not far from the Newseum, sent me a photo of the front page of the Daily Times that was displayed in the array of newspaper fronts that adorn the front window of the Newseum every day. The event that captured their eye was our front page story on whether "Silver Linings Playbook," the movie starring Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper, which was shot in large part right here in Delaware County, would capture an Oscar in that night's Academy Awards.

I could not resist picking up a T-shirt as a way to remember my visit to the Newseum. It is emblazoned with this saying: I love the smell of newsprint in the morning. Nothing could be more fitting.

These are not good days for the newspaper industry. Print is fighting for its life. Digital has yet to provide the kind of revenue stream needed to provide communities with the kind of journalism they deserve.

I know there will be no shortage of people toasting the demise of the newspaper industry. I hear from them every day. They will go to their grave saying we are biased and far too liberal.

I am convinced the public will not fully understand what they are missing until newspapers - and their vital role as watchdogs - disappear.

Anyone care to guess what happens when no one is watching the store?

In the meantime, we soldier on.

So long, Newseum.

You struggled valiantly and provided an immense service.

I know the feeling.

Comments