Wanted: New motto for Upper Darby

This one should be fun. It's got Delco - specifically Upper Darby - written all over it.

New township Mayor Barbarann Keffer has announced a competition to come up with a new township motto.

In keeping with the spirit of her successful campaign for office, which banked on on the slogan, "It's not about me, it's about we," Keffer said the new motto will replace the name of the mayor on all signs in the township.

“I want everybody to be a part of the new Upper Darby,” said Keffer. “This is our township together and these are our parks and libraries and what better way to say that than removing the focus from any one name and giving it back to the people to create their own motto for Upper Darby.”

Submissions must be accompanied with the resident’s name and address and an up to 150-word explanation of why the slogan best fits Upper Darby. Submissions should be sent to udtransition@gmail.com. The contest will close at end of business on Friday, Jan, 24. The winning motto will be placed on the official government signs placed throughout the township.

“It’s just a very simple way to bring people together and give them something to rally around,” the Mayor continued. “I didn’t run for Mayor to see my name everywhere. I ran for Mayor because I love Upper Darby and I want everyone to feel that way and be a part of it.”

I'm assuming "Not in my town, scumbag," the saying made famous by former Upper Darby top cop Mike Chitwood, is not in the running.

Comments