After 38 years, reaching the end of the road

If you missed the note I tacked on to the bottom of today's Letter From the Editor, allow me to make a personal note.

It's the column I always dreaded writing.

Because it's the last one.

After nearly 38 years, this will be my last week at the Daily Times. I started in 1982. June 14, Flag Day, to be exact.

I will write more about it later this week, but since the word was leaking out there already, I figured I would get ahead of the curve and formally announce here in The Heron's Nest as well.

This is my decision, at least in part. It's probably not the way I envisioned it, but it is time.

I'm not quite sure how to wrap up 38 years, but above all else what I will remember is the people - both those I worked with every day, and those loyal readers who picked up the newspaper every day, or who now visit the website.

Yes, that includes those legions who were critical of my work, and that of the newspaper.

As I've written many times, that is the glory of being a newspaper editor. I am an equal opportunity publicist.

Know that I will miss all of you, but also know this.

What this newspaper does every day is vitally important. Please support it and help us keep that mission alive.

Comments

Maria Deysher said…
Phil, you ARE the newspaper business. Every day I look forward to what makes your front page. Every Monday, I read your column and enjoy the memories and straight-forward commentary you share with the County. It’s a sad day for the loyal readers. I bet the beautiful wife and grand-twins will be over-joyed that you will spend more time with them. You have done well, Good and Faithful Servant. THANK YOU! Sincerely,
Maria Deysher
Garnet Valley
Chris Parker said…
You will be sorely missed. For my sake, I'm really sorry; for your sake I'm glad. Best of everything to you for a well-deserved rest from the daily grind. You're a great editor!
Unknown said…
That comes as a real surprise. I never expected you to leave the Times until they literally wheeled you out on a gurney. You were appreciated while you were here, and you will be missed when you're gone.
Joyce Ellis said…
Phil - your sense of humor and your finger on the pulse of Delco have been a mainstay for many of use over those years. Hope we will still hear from you when the spirit moves you! Enjoy retirement.
Lew Bryson said…
I live in Bucks, and only saw your column when you took on the PLCB, a fight I'm involved in as well. You had a firm voice and a clear opinion on that, and I'm very sad to see you go. Enjoy your retirement, thanks for all the fine words. Cheers!