RIP Tom Judge Sr., a gentleman and class act

I could use many words for the people I have encountered in Delaware County political circles over the last nearly four decades.

But there is only one word I would ever consider using about Tom Judge Sr.

Gentleman.

I wrote that back in 2009, when the longtime leader of the Delaware County Republican Party retired.

Delaware County has lost one of its icons. Tom Judge Sr. passed away over the weekend.

Judge led the party during much of its glory years, when the party ruled the county, routinely dominating local elections. A lot of people recoiled when I would refer to the local GOP as a 'machine,' but that's what it was. A very well-oiled, effective machine.

At its heart was a simple, unassuming, decent man.

Of course over the years we had occasion to share the room many times. Perhaps on election night, or during a special dinner. Inevitably, Judge would do several things that always stayed with me all these years.

Inevitably, Judge would seek me out, not the other way around.

Then he would extend his hand - and a smile.

And he would always ask me how the family was doing.

Tom Judge Sr. was a class act.

He will be greatly missed.

Comments