For 'Once,' a great movie

Nice to see some things don’t change.

They rolled out the Academy Award nominations yesterday. And my streak of having seen exactly none of the films nominated for Best Picture remains intact for another year.

Truth is I’m more of a DVD guy these days. I don’t actually get to the movie theater all that much.

“Michael Clayton” and “No Country for Old Men” are definitely on my Netflix list. “Juno” is a maybe. “There Will be Blood” probably isn’t going to be out on DVD for awhile. I’ll take a pass on “Atonement.”

I still think the Academy is a little out of touch with the American public. The most entertaining movie I saw this year was the Bruce Willis action flick “Live Free or Die Hard.” Not sure what that says about me, aside from the fact that I use movies as a source of entertainment. I’m looking to get away for a couple hours, and be entertained at the same time. I don’t necessarily need a big message, or to be any more depressed than I already am, or to be grossed out.

Notice I said it was the most entertaining movie I saw this year. It was not the best.

And that brings me back to the Academy Awards. The best flick I saw this year was a quiet little movie about an Irish street singer.

If you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend “Once.”

Someone at the Academy agrees with me. Yesterday one of the songs from the movie, “Falling Slowly,” sung by the actual leads of the movie, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, was nominated for Best Original Song.

Warning: Oonce you see the movie, you won’t be able to get the music out of your head. I have been humming it since the Christmas holidays.

Check it out and let me know if you agree.

Comments