Idol Worship

The nation can rest easy. Civilization has been preserved.

No, not because Mitt Romney won the GOP primary in Michigan.

And they haven’t settled the Hollywood writers’ strike.

But we can all settle contentedly in front of the boob tube once again.
“American Idol” is back.

I know this is not where this feature usually pops up, but indulge me: I Don’t Get It.

I suppose at this point I should admit the next installment of “Idol” I watch will be the worst.

Trurth is I’m not a TV guy, unless it’s news, sports or a movie. I don’t watch any shows religiously. I don’t have HBO, so I have not seen the one show that piques my interest, especially since “The Wire” is exploring a journalism theme this year.

But this whole reality TV genre just leaves me cold. Of course, “American Idol” and “Survivor” were first. Now, compounded by the writers strike, we’re being bombarded with this rot.

Adding to the sizzle, especially for those of us in this area, is that last night’s premiere of “Idol” dealt with the auditions held last summer in Philly. Thousands waited hours, and most of them never had a shot.

But there’s something else about “Idol” that rubs me the wrong way. It’s the exploitation of many of those trying out. Yes, they are supposed to know that going in. But some people are picked on simply because they are so bad. Then their lack of talent – and the catty, sometimes cruel comments of Simon, Randy and Paula – is paraded out there for all to see.

Count me out. When I tell some people that I’ve never seen “Idol,” they sometimes fire back that I just think I’m too good for that kind of fare.

They’re right. I do.

Comments