Gas pains

I know the ‘I Don’t Get It’ portion of the blog usually comes as part of the Daily Numbers package.

This one can’t wait. I have a question about gas prices, in particular Wawa.

I usually buy gas at Wawa because I find they usually have the cheapest price. What can I say, I’m cheap. Price rules a lot of my purchases. I also like the idea that I’m buying from a company that, after all, is based right here in Delaware County.

What I don’t understand is the wild variance in gas prices from one Wawa to another.

I knew I should have stopped at my normal Wawa close to work last night on the way home. What can I say, I’m lazy. I didn’t feel like stopping.

I thought maybe I could make it home and back and then gas up at my friendly local Wawa on the way in this morning. Wrong.

It became clear to me shortly after leaving the house that I would be pushing it trying to reach the local Wawa. Instead I stopped at one in West Chester.

I grumbled to myself as I pulled into the gleaming new “super” Wawa featuring the gas pumps that the company is now so focused on. That’s because I was about to fork over $3.21 a gallon for gasoline.

I didn’t even fill my tank. I have a psychological barrier that will not allow me to spend more than $30 at a time on gas. It got me about three-quarters of a tank.

So I went on my way doing my slow burn, which quickly reached a full boil as I passed the Wawa at Baltimore Pike and Bishop Avenue. The price there? $3.13 a gallon.

All together now: I Don’t Get It.

By the sounds of it, $3.13 a gallon could soon be considered the “good old days.” Nationwide, the average price of gas hit an all-time high of $3.27. And prices of crude oil soared near $110 a barrel.

Oh, it’s crude all right. I have always thought of Wawa as the friendly neighborhood convenience store. It is an icon here in Delaware County, and in fact one of those things that defines the region.

GottahavaWawa? Sure. How about gottahava explanation of gas prices as well.

Comments