Sleepless in Delco

We have this just in.

Experts say we don’t get enough sleep. And it’s affecting the way we work. You can read about it here. Tell me about it.

Sleep is the one thing that seems to be eluding me these days. I usually go out like a light when I first get home. I’m in a coma for about an hour or so. Then I’m up and simply toss and turn all night.

I can’t remember the last time I needed the alarm. Instead, I usually glance at the clock every five minutes or so, and then drag my weary bones out of bed long before the appointed time.

The study says all this lack of sleep is having an effect on us at work. In fact, they say 29 percent of us have fallen asleep or become very sleepy at work in the last month.

I haven’t fallen asleep here yet (although some people might argue I’ve been asleep at the switch for some time now). The challenge for me often is driving home. Some nights it’s about all I can do to traverse the journey back to the home front.

I have a theory as to why so many of us are battling sleep problems. We are all spending an inordinate amount of time staring at computer screens.

I know that after about a quarter century of staring for hours a day at these technological demons, my eyesight is a wreck. Now I think it’s also affecting my sleep.

I’ll be thinking about all this as I drive home tonight, with my eyelids getting heavier and heavier. Then I’ll collapse into bed and start watching the clock again.

Comments