Confession time for Pastor Klever

You might say Gerald Klever will step into the confessional this morning. And attempt to atone for his “sins.”

It will be the end of a sad, painful story that is more than 30 years old.

Klever is the former pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Springfield. Back in the late ’70s, it is believed that Klever sexually assaulted several members of a youth group at the church.

Klever left the church – and the area – back in 1983. His painful legacy remained, however.

Police finally caught up with him 2,000 miles away in Arizona in April 2007.

Ironically, it was his decision to leave the state that allowed authorities to bring the charges against him. If he had stuck around, the statute of limitations likely would have expired on his offenses. That clock stopped, however, when he left the state.

Klever was hauled back to Pennsylvania and charged with three counts each of rape and involuntary deviate sexual intercourse. Police say he told one 12-year-old girl that “to get close to God she needed to get close to him.”

This morning Klever may once again be close to some of his victims. He just might find himself staring at them in a Media courtroom, where is expected to enter a plea and will be sentenced by Common Please Judge James Nilon Jr.

It has taken three decades, but this morning justice likely will be served in the case of Gerald Klever and his victims.

Forgiveness might take a little longer.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for the blog. I am the primary victim in this case. Please know that I appreciate the attention to this case. I yelled for 30 yrs. until someone finally listened to me in 2005. It's tremendously important to me that other people (particularly women) hear my story and know that they should never give up. At the preliminary hearing last May, the defense attorney made a statement that he was representing Klever to set a precedent for others who find themselves in similiar situations as Klever being charged with crimes from 30 yrs. ago. I believe I have now set a precedent for victims of crimes perpetrated many years ago. I was heard and I won. I stuck by my conviction to bring this man to justice and I now have a great sense of peace. By the way, he was arrested in Jan. of 2007.