A hippy-dippy Sunday forecast

Here’s my tribute to George Carlin, one of the first “hip” new comedians my generation embraced in the ’60s.

Carlin died Sunday at the age of 71.

One of the routines he was famous for was the “hippy-dippy weatherman.”

If you were coming of age at that time, just the words are enough to bring a knowing smile to your face.

Thirty-five years later, I have a different reaction. Specifically I return to one of my favorite rants. That would be our local TV weather forecasters.

My grief used to be reserved for the most part to winter and anything approaching a few flakes of snow, which they would promptly hype into Armageddon.

Now they can’t even get a rain storm right. Saturday night they were telling us to pretty much forget Sunday. It was going to be a washout, with on-and-off showers and even a good chance of severe storms in the afternoon and evening.

So of course it was a beautiful, sunny day.

Come back, George. And bring the “hippy-dippy weatherman” with you. He can’t do much worse when it comes to the forecast.

Comments