Springfield Road blues

Here’s my rant of the day: Springfield Road.

Is this someone’s idea of a joke?

If you haven’t traversed the road from Bishop Avenue to State Road lately, you may now know what I’m talking about.

If you do, join the crowd. The road is being repaved. Eventually. Right now it’s just been milled. Which is good if you are interested in having all your fillings loosened.

Then there’s the matter of the manholes that litter the road. They’re all now raised from the milled surface of the rest of the surface.

I’m thinking this must be someone’s idea of a defensive driving course, as motorists zig and zag to avoid the jarring notion of actually driving over all these raised spots.

I don’t even have to drive the road during rush hour. I get in before the crews arrive, and they’re long gone when I head home. I can’t even imagine what it must be like to deal with this road when everyone else is out there as well.

A month or so ago it was Baltimore Pike. Then crews had Bishop Road tied up for awhile. One of these decades they likely will finish that project on the one side of the road to accommodate the new development going in between Springfield Road and Baltimore Pike.

I am trying to look at the bright side. I realize that this is the cost of progress. And I can smile now as I use the smooth Baltimore Pike, with the memory of that aggravation a thing of the past.

But I have a question. What exactly was wrong with Springfield Road? I don’t recall it being in such bad shape that called for this kind of a major overhaul.

Maybe it’s all a plot to get us out of our cars and use mass transit.

If not they’re doing a pretty good imitation.

Comments