Not so grande news at Starbucks

Looking for a sure sign that the economy is in the tank? Starbucks is on the rocks. And we’re not talking ice coffee.

The baron of the brew baristas Tuesday announced a major rollback, including closing 600 stores. It’s also slashing the number of outlets it plans to open.

Starbucks operates 15 outlets in Delaware County. Exactly which of the so-called “underperforming” sites will be shut down was not clear Tuesday.

Guess when people are paying $4 for gas, the $4 latte is where they draw the line.

Doesn’t affect me. I’m always been a Wawa guy. Plain black with a little sugar. I don’t need a grande or some other upscale wording with my morning jolt.

To me, Starbucks always tastes like it’s burned. I guess that’s supposed to be the preferred taste of the Seattle-based afficianados of this strong brew.

I’m just looking for a good cup of Joe at a decent price. Wawa recently hiked the price on their coffee by a nickel. It’s worth every penny.

My wife is a Dunkin’ Donuts addict. To me, since they put the sugar in for you, it’s always a little too sweet. I use it as dessert.

And right now, if you’ll excuse me, it’s time for my morning Wawa run. At just over a buck, you can’t beat it.

Besides, I like the idea of keeping the business local. After all, Wawa has its roots right here in Delaware County.

Call me an uncultured yahoo if you will, but spending much more than $1 for coffee strikes me as an extravagance a lot of people are learning they can live without. Somehow, I think we’ll all survive.

Just don’t start messing with Wawa.

Comments