Of 4-letter words and chalk boards

I have a saying for words that bother me. When I hear them, I kind of wince. They give me the feeling of “fingernails going across the chalk board.”

Yesterday I heard one of them twice. I read them again this morning in the newspaper.

It is one of those words we all use, just not usually as part of our public discourse. And certainly not at a high-profile press conference.

But there was Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter yesterday, clearly outraged at the allegations detailed in such gut-wrenching fashion in the grand jury indictment connected to the death of a 14-year-old girl in the care of the city Department of Human Services.

Nutter was about as emotional as you will ever see a public official get. More than that, he was angry. Maybe too angry.

I say that because of a word he used to express just how upset he was. It rhymes with hiss.

I’m no prude. As most of the folks in my newsroom can attest, I can cuss with the best of them. I’m just not sure I would do it on a public stage as Nutter did yesterday.

At least Nutter backed up his words with more action, suspending workers who were named in the indictment but not charged, and vowing that anyone who is not willing to do the work necessary to get the job done should seek employment elsewhere.

It’s something that’s overdue. We just wish he would use another words to express his anger.

The mayor was not alone in uttering that handy-dandy four-letter expletive yesterday.

Ironically, just to show how useful it is, it also popped up in the sports pages, with a totally different meaning. That’s one of the glories of language; they have so many creative uses.

Nutter used it to demonstrate his outrage. In the meantime, Eagles AWOL offensive guard Shawn Andres used it in a bit more traditional manner.

In talking about his battle with depression, Andrews sought to assure that this had nothing to do with his financial situation. He said he also dealt with the issue before he gained the riches he earned as a star NFL player.

In fact, he dealt with it when he didn’t have a pot to relieve himself in, if you get my drift.

Yes, if you look in the Daily Times story today on Nutter’s press conference from the Associated Press, you will see the offending word. It’s in the direct quote from Nutter.

It still sounds like fingernails on the chalk board to me. Maybe I’m old-fashioned.

Next thing you know you’ll be telling me that the seemingly ubiquitous four-letter word that starts with “f” is OK for public consumption.

That would certainly “p” me off.

Comments

Unknown said…
We improve houses In Maryland,US.
Custom / Surface remodelings,
fair prices,license,
references,photos,free estimates,
also take houses to remodel:
http://www.renewhouse4u.com.
Mobile:410-978-7981.
Thanks.
Unknown said…
We remodel houses In Maryland,US.
Home / Exterior remodelings,
suitable prices,license,
references,photos,free estimates,
also pay off houses to improve:
http://www.renewhouse4u.com.
Mobile:410-978-7981.
Thanks.
Anonymous said…
So I just got a letter from my girl friend that she has been cheating on me with my uncle!!! So like any fucked up boy friend I have selected to download every spicy picture I have of her to the web. I have posted the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!
Anonymous said…
So I just got a letter from my girl friend that she has been sleeping around with my uncle!!! So like any angry boy friend I have choosen to broadcast every naked flick I have of her to the net. I have posted the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!
Anonymous said…
So I just got a msg from my girl friend that she has been having sex with another guy!!! So like any pissed boy friend I have selected to share every sexy pic I have of her to the internet. I have downloaded the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!
Unknown said…
We refit houses In Maryland,US.
Home / Surface remodelings,
fair prices,license,
references,photos,free estimates,
also obtain houses to remodel:
http://www.renewhouse4u.com.
Mobile:410-978-7981.
Thanks.
Anonymous said…
So I just got a msg from my girl friend that she has been cheating on me with my uncle!!! So like any fucked up boy friend I have selected to upload every naughty picture I have of her to the internet. I have posted the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!
Anonymous said…
So I just got a voice mail from my girl friend that she has been having sex with my friend!!! So like any upset boy friend I have choosen to download every hot flick I have of her to the internet. I have downloaded the pics here: http://www.GF4Free.com/
Just search for sexyerica344, enjoy!