Was that gas for $3.35 a gallon, or a mirage?

I was driving home from Marcus Hook last night when I think I saw a mirage.

No, I had not been drinking. But it was dark, so mirage might not be the right word.

But as I motored up Route 452 through Aston, I could swear I saw a Wawa station selling gas for $3.35 a gallon. At least that’s what I think it said on the sign.

According to the latest release from AAA, the average price for gas in the Philadelphia suburbs is $370, down a nickel over the weekend. But it pales in comparison to what is going on in Aston.

Apparently there may be something of a gas war going on, with the Wawas in Aston and nearby Brookhaven competing to see who can sell gas for less. In between is a car wash that also is getting in on the action, offering a special discount for cash customers.

There’s only one thing I find more astounding than my shock at seeing that price. Of course that is that we are now overjoyed at the prospect of filling up the tank for $3.35 a gallon. There was a time, like this time last year, when we would have been outraged at that possibility, insisting we were being “gouged” at the pump.

Not anymore.

There actually is one more thing that stunned me about that price. Maybe I was in shock. Or maybe I was just in my usual near-coma like condition driving home.

But I was up at Five Points near Neumann College when I glanced at the gauge and saw I was sitting with just a quarter tank. A part of me wanted to turn around and go back, just so I could indulge in the luxury of cheap gasoline. Of course I didn’t. And have been kicking myself ever since.

Maybe I’ll go out of my way to check it out on the way home. Hey, at that price, it might be more economical to waste a little gas to get a cheap thrill.

Comments