The dreaded Saturday Eagles pick

How about those Philies!

That's my way of skirting the issue just a tad when it comes to my Birds.

OK, I'm officially impressed. I'm also officially 1-2 in the prognostication business. This Eagles team is clearly better than I thought. A lot better.

In fact, the Eagles are part of a shift in power in the NFL. The three best teams in the NFL just might play in the NFC East, with the Cowboys, Eagles and Giants. And the Redskins might not be that far behind.

The old order of AFL superiority fell under what could only be called a blitz-krieg.

Jim Johnson ordered up a hornet's nest of blitzes that left Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers battered and bruised.

I think the Steelers played right into the Eagles' hands, for some reason abandoning the run and allowing Johnson to turn loose the dogs.

Now it's on to Chicago, and a Sunday night game with the Bears.

If you haven't noticed, the Steelers weren't the only team to limp out of Lincoln Financial Field last week. The Eagles also have their share of injuries. Donovan McNabb did not practice most of the week. Neither did Brian Westbrook. While McNabb will be behind center Sunday night, I would not expect to see Westbroook. L.J. Smith and Shawn Andrews look like they both could miss the Bears game.

This game likely will rest on the right arm of Donovan McNabb, and the ability of the Eagles defense to repeat last week's mauling.

It says here the Birds scratch and claw their way to a win. It likely won't be easy, or flashy, but it will put them at 3-1, a very good start.

Eagles prevail, 16-10. They are one botched handoff away from being 4-0.

Yep, they're better than I thought they were. A lot better.

Now excuse me as I head back to the land of Phillies Phever!

Comments