The greatest invention ever

Anyone else’s thumb sore this morning?

Yep, I was among those furiously using the remote to flick back and forth between the Phillies and Eagles games yesterday.

Nice of Major League Baseball to schedule the Phillies game at 4:10. Most Sundays that would have been a 1:30 game in Florida, meaning it would have blended seamlessly into a sports marathon since the Eagles game at the Linc was scheduled for a 4:15 start.

Actually, it wasn’t all that bad. Instead of spending the entire day on a flat-out gorgeous Sunday cooped up in the family room, I was able to get outside for much of the day and soak up some sun on the last full day of summer.

Once I parked myself in front of the TV, it dawned on me that without question the remote control is very likely the greatest invention ever.

What exactly did we do before the remote? Actually, I’m thinking we probably did a lot less flipping around. We picked a channel and stayed there. It’s still amazing to me that not that long ago you actually had to get up out of your chair to change the channel on the TV.

Of course, it also contributes to our sedentary culture, and, I suppose, is one of the reasons obesity runs rampant in our society.

Just how crucial has the remote become in our culture? Yesterday I found myself once cursing my technological inadequacies. The button that allows me to jump back to the previous station on my remote is broken. So at least my digits were getting a workout.

Yes, I know that’s one of the reasons they invented picture-in-picture.

I don’t have that either.

Comments