Obama on 'SNL'? Not funny

Sen. Barack Obama has taken plenty of criticism for his public persona.

He is referred to at times almost as much for his celebrity as his political experience.

He’s the “rock star” candidate who came out of nowhere with his message of change and now sits atop the Democratic presidential ticket.

He accepted the nomination in front of 85,000 people in an outdoor stadium in Denver, again sparking some concerns about his image.

So I will admit it raised my eyebrow this morning when I saw the item about what he is planning to do this weekend.

Obama is going to appear on the season premiere of “Saturday Night Live.” The show will be hosted by Olympic superstar Michael Phelps.

Surely Obama will be looking for a gold-medal performance.

But I’m not so sure this is a good idea.

But what do I know, after all, this is a face that was made for newspapers.

But if one of the criticisms I faced was that I was too much of a celebrity, an appearance on “Saturday Night Live” might not be the first thing on my agenda.

And as I always do, I wonder what the reaction would be if Sarah Palin, fresh off her first big interview with Charlie Gibson, were to pop up on the show?

Thought so.

Hey, I like a sense of humor as much as anyone. I just don’t think that right now I want one of the candidates appearing on a comedy show.

I think the rock star candidate just might regret this latest piece of celebrity.

Comments