Forecast of doom

There is one other item that is still sticking in my craw about this entire Phillies’ situation.

It involves one of my favorite topics, or suppose I should more correctly say my least favorite topics.

It has to do with the weather. Yesterday’s weather. OK, last night’s weather to be exact.

Where did that come from? Did I miss something in the forecast. The first I heard about the chance of rain last night was as I was driving into work Monday morning.

Huh? Comes as news to me. Apparently came as news to many forecasters as well.

Then through the day we heard about the “chance” of showers last night. But we were reassured again and again that they would arrive late and not have any effect on last night’s World Series game. How did that work out?

A co-worker who had just walked to the Wawa last night around 6:30 stuck his head in my office and offered this grim forecast: “I don’t like the looks of this weather out there.”

He did something that’s always helpful in these instances. He actually went outside.

When I left the office to head home just after 7 p.m., it was already spitting rain.

By the time I got home, it was raining. Not drizzling. Not spitting. It was raining.

It also was raining at Citizens Bank Park. And it kept raining, eventually picking up steam until the game was finally suspended with the Phils coming up to bat in the bottom of the sixth.

It wasn’t the Storm of the Century. But it’s a forecast we’re going to remember for a long time.

Comments