The dreaded Saturday Eagles pick

Anybody remember the Eagles?

While we've been painting the town red with the Phillies historic run to a World Series title, the Birds have been green with envy.

Now they have a chance to regain the spotlight in a prime-time Sunday matchup with their arch-rival, the New York Giants.

This is a statement game for the Eagles. Win this one and you have to include them in talk about Super Bowl contenders. Lose and they simply are another middle-of-the-pack team in the mediocre world of NFL parity.

I'd love to say I'm confident of an Eagles win. I'm not. This team is maddening in its inconsistency.

I remain unconvinced that a team that consistently fails to convert on third-and-one is a legitimate Super Bowl team.

There's one other matter that does not bode well for the Birds tomorrow night. They talk about their prowess in stopping the run, but most of that came at the expense of lousy teams or teams that simply did not run the ball.

The one team that came right at them, the Redskins, jammed the ball right down their throat to the tune of more than 200 yards on the ground and a career day for Clinton Portis. The Giants are bigger and better, with massive running back Brandon Jacobs posing a huge hurdle for the Birds. I'll believe it when I see it.

My record sits at 4-4 as I look to climb above the .500 mark.

Make it Giants 23, Eagles 16.

How many days 'til pitchers and catchers report?

Comments