No Plaxico for Eagles

Well there’s one piece of good news for the Eagles as they prepare to face the Giants at the Meadowlands on Sunday. They won’t have to face longtime nemesis Plaxico Burress.

You may have heard the Giants wide receiver got himself into something of a scrape at a nightclub last weekend. That is when he accidentally shot himself in the leg. I’ll leave this whole notion of athletes and guns to someone else. I don’t get it, but then they live in a world completely foreign to me. All I know is that if I feared some kind of confrontation, I think I would avoid situations that might put me – and the livelihood that pays me millions – in jeopardy.

Burress was packing heat, now he’s feeling heat after being criminally charged with possessing an illegal weapon. It carries a penalty of three and a half to 15 years in the slammer if he’s convicted.

The Giants aren’t waiting that long. Yesterday they handed out their own sense of justice. They suspended their star for the final four games of the regular season. Burress also was placed on the reserve non-football injury list, which makes him ineligible for the playoffs as well. The general thinking is that he has played his last game for the Giants.

And that’s not the team’s only problem connected to the incident, either. Authorities want to talk to starting middle linebacker Antonio Pierce about the shooting. Pierce was with Burress at the nightclub. So far he has failed to make himself available for questioning. He could be suspended as well.

The matter didn’t seem to faze the Giants at all last weekend as they steamrolled the Redskins.

And therein lies the real problem for the Eagles. This game likely will not be decided by the Giants’ wide receivers. Rather it will up to the Eagles to stop New York’s relentless running attack, and force the game into the hands of quarterback Eli Manning.

It says here the Birds fail, that the Giants merely run the ball right down their throat as they did the last time, when they racked up over 200 yards on the ground.

Maybe the Eagles defense will prove me wrong. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Comments