Brookhaven loses an icon

I have been to several events that were held in the Brookhaven Municipal Building.

And I have spoken to several senior citizen organizations in the borough.

There was always one constant: Ralph Garzia.

He was always there. To many, Garzia was the face of Brookhaven.

That’s why I was not surprised at the throng that showed up last night for his service.

Hundreds waited patiently in bitter cold conditions to pay their respects to the beloved longtime mayor.

Garzia died last week at 87. He had been the mayor for 30 years. He also was a former state representative.

If there was an event in Brookhaven, Garzia would be there. Every time I spoke to a group, he made a point of coming up to me afterward and talking about the newspaper.

Very simply, it is hard to think of Brookhaven without him.

But if it is difficult to envision a Brookhaven without Ralph Garzia, it is impossible to estimate the loss to the community. It is rare today to find people with the kind of civic involvement and public dedication that Garzia offered so easily to the town he loved. We all lead busy lives. Our time is precious. Less and less of it is available to offer in civic involvement.

Brookhaven has lost an icon. I will miss his familiar face. And I mourn for a loss to the community that will be impossible to replace.

Rest well, Mayor Garzia.

Comments