Glory Days

I don’t really need any more reasons to feel old, but I got another one Wednesday. If you’re like me, a Bruce Springsteen fan in his early 50s, allow me to remind you just how old we are.

Monday afternoon I posted a story on our Web site with the announcement that “The Boss” was bringing the E Street Band back to one of his favorite local haunts, the Spectrum. The two shows on April 28-29 are part of something of a Farewell Tour for the legendary South Philly sports palace. It is due to be torn down sometime after the Phantoms finish their season to make way for a new entertainment and retail complex called “Philly Live.”

Springsteen, who kicked off sales of his new CD, “Working on a Dream,” yesterday, will appear at halftime of the Super Bowl on Sunday. Tickets for the two Philly shows go on sale Monday morning.

Wednesday morning I got an e-mail from a serious Bruce fan saying I had mistated the date Springsteen first appeared at the Spectrum. He was right. The Boss first headlined at the Spectrum in 1976. But his first appearance there was the infamous night in 1973 when he opened for Chicago and was actually booed by the crowd.

I know because I had a ticket for the show that night, but couldn't make it. I certainly would not have been booing. One of my buddies who was at the show told me about it. I was incredulous.

I have since become a serious Springsteen-file. But in his e-mail the guy indicated that show was in early June. For some reason, I had it in my mind it was more like late winter, maybe February or March.

My online reader promptly e-mailed me back. He was right. The date was Wednesday June.

Here’s the killer. He included a snapshot of the ad that ran for the show.

There was that familiar script that announced Chicago. Underneath it: Special Guest, Bruce Springsteen.
Then it listed the prices: $4.50, $5.50, $6.50.

Can you believe it? At the time it seemed like a lot of money.

What a great time to grow up, or at least be a high school senior who was a regular at Spectrum concerts. Glory Days, I guess you could call them. If you’ll pardon me for bringing up one of the worst songs Bruce ever recorded.

Exactly why is it that some of his most popular songs, like “Glory Days” and “Hungry Heart,” are among the very few I dislike.

Give me “Incident on 57th Street” or “New York City Serenade” anytime.

But $6.50? I’m not sure what tickets for the two April shows are going to go for, but my guess is you can’t buy a beer for $6.50 in the Spectrum these days.

Comments