Tom Judge Sr., the gentleman pol

I have met Tom Judge Sr. on any number of occasions.

Very often they would be at some type of public function. And yes, many times they would have political overtones. Maybe a debate, or a special dinner.

I will always remember two things about Judge. They were invariably the very first things he would do when our paths crossed.

He would extend his hand. And he would smile.

I think the single word that best described Tom Judge Sr. is gentleman.

I imagine we were not always his favorite newspaper. After all, Judge has spent the last three decades as the leader of the county Republican Party.

In some county political circles, there is a belief that this newspaper is anti-Republican, that we will do anything to knock local Republicans from their longtime perch of power in the county.

I never heard that from Judge. Instead, what I invariably got was the calm demeanor of what can only be described as a decent man.

I think it is telling that in the story we wrote last Saturday describing the fact that Judge has decided to step down as the leader of the party, some of the most glowing comments came from what might be considered an odd source.

That would be Cliff Wilson, Judge’s counterpart with the county Democrats.

“Big shoes to fill for anyone who fills them,” Wilson commented. “I admire him very much. He comes from … an ‘old school’ of politics that is sorely going to be missed.”

Politics can be a tough, bruising and sometimes dirty racket.

Tom Judge never gave me that impression.

Cliff Wilson is right. He’s going to be missed. Count me among those who will miss him.

Comments