A dose of 'reality'

We live our lives in search of the unexpected.

We hunt something we have not encountered before, something that takes us by surprise, something that grabs us by the throat.

In our mission to break out of our everyday doldrums, we are now armed with a bewildering array of technology. And yet after awhile we become bored with the same old texts, e-mails, voice-mails, Web sites, radio and TV.

So much of the media is built around the idea of shocking us. That is not necessarily the same as entertaining us. I would put the barrage of reality shows into that category. They seem in a race to see who can reach the bottom in catering to the lowest common denominator.

I will tell you I have not seen a single episode of “American Idol.” Not one.

But I was mesmerized by something I saw on the British version of the show on the news last night.

Think “Rocky,” only this time in a talent show, not a boxing ring.

The show is called “Britain’s Got Talent,” and yes it includes the smug presence of everybody’s favorite judge Simon Cowell. He has become well-known to “American Idol” fans for the way he can eviscerate a contestant.

I have never quite understood the appeal of being publicly humiliated in that fashion. Is your 15 minutes of fame worth that kind of degradation?

I suppose I was not alone in expecting more of the same – if not worse – when Susan Boyle strode onto that stage in London.

If you winced when you first set eyes on her, wondering just how bad what was to follow likely would be, I am guessing you were not alone.

The 47-year-old strode confidently onto the stage, but she appeared anything but what these shows are all about. She was 47, a bit on the stocky side, with frizzy hair. She admitted to the judges she had never been kissed, while saying her goal was to become a professional singer.

Yeah, right.

You just waited for the audience, hosts and judges to unleash their venom on her.

Then she opened her mouth.

What happened next was glorious. Boyle perfomed “I Dreamed a Dream” from the musical “Les Miserables.”

You can see it here.

I might have to change my mind about reality TV. This wasn’t reality. It was unreal.

The classic underdog with the voice of an angel, Susan Boyle delivered more than just an unexpected treat.

Her performance made the hair stand up on my arms and brought tears to my eyes.

In these days where we drown in over-hyped, mediocre media, it doesn’t get any better than that.

Comments