More on the Lazaroff case

I have had one thing on my mind since last Friday. That’s when a Delaware County jury acquitted Dr. Jerry Lazaroff of all charges in a case in which he was accused of inappropriately touching some of his young patients.

What was I wondering? What has his life been like for the last year.

We’re beginning to find out. I had columnist Gil Spencer ask Lazaroff if he would sit down for an interview. You can read Part 1 here. Part Two will appear in Friday’s Daily Times.

I spoke to several groups on Wednesday. At both of them I referenced the Lazaroff case. I had gone back and pulled out the newspaper when we first reported the charges filed against him. It was the lead story on the front page on Wednesday, May 7. I held that front page up to the audiences. Then I held up the front page of last Saturday’s paper. May 2, almost exactly one year. There was another photo of Lazaroff and two simple words: Not Guilty.

I asked a simple question: What do you think his life has been like for the past year?

One thing I learned by reading the first part of the interview is that Dr. Lazaroff lost almost all of his professional licenses after he was charged. Notice that is not after he was convicted. In fact, Lazaroff was not convicted.

Makes you wonder about all that high-minded talk about the justice system in this country, and how you are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

In the Lazaroff case, it seems like just the opposite was the case.

Now he’s looking to put his life back together, starting with getting his old job back with the county Juvenile Court system.

You’d think that would be the least they could do.

Comments

Anonymous said…
My children and myself have all benefited from the services of Dr. Lazaroff for many years. My daughter, now 17, even volunteered to be a character witness for Dr. Jerry. Before the story even broke in the Daily Times, Dr. Jerry had the courtesy and professional demeanor to contact me and tell me what was happening, and that he would fight these charges. KUDOS Dr. Jerry for your bravery...your actions alone speak volumes; to your adult clients, as well as the very valuable teaching lessons that you have demonstrated to children throughout your struggle this past year.
Restore his credentials immediatedly!
Anonymous said…
One more comment.....I am glad the Daily Times has become more credible with their reporting of this case...one front page Daily Times headline read Delco SHRINK....he is a psychologist for crying out loud...get the facts straight...THANK YOU!!
Anonymous said…
I do believe the child was telling the truth. Who knows how far this man would have gone had the child not stopped it then. She was the brave one and she should be proud of what she did. She may have saved many other children the torment of abuse. I hope that she is getting the help that she needs. Take care little one.
Anonymous said…
oh geeze, the comments from one anonymous poster...how do you guys deal w/it?

but yet a very positive from the initial anon poster (and i believe in dr. l's case...well deserved)

i'm a delco kid and while business keeps me working in DC and living in MD, i still come back to my perm home at least 1x wkly and mom saves all the papers for me (been honestly reading the delco times since 5 yrs old, parents made sure...and i'm 44 now)

but heron and times, you guys made a mistake (i believe a huge one) by writing the dr. l headlines in the manner you did/reported...i believe what the times published did that man and his family more harm than good...

luckily, we have one of my fav's 'gil' to come in and try to clean up a mess (while the paper itself didn't cause how this unfolded, you did not, in ANY way, help the matter that should have taken its course w/out being written about in the way you guys did...) i was truly disappointed in your coverage on this one

and while damage is done, dr. l and his family will recover w/the support of family, friends, patients (former, current, & their families), and while i hope no one experiences what he has, may your coverage not be bias in anyway just for the sake of readership!

bjbergin
boothwyn pa